kernel parameters in 10gR2

From: Maureen English <sxmte_at_email.alaska.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:43:46 -0900

We are upgrading our databases to 10gR2 (10.2.0.3.0) on HP Tru64 Unix. In the installation instructions, it says to change the kernel parameter shm_seg to 256. For 9i it was set to 128. I sort of understand why this might be an issue when a database is created/upgraded, but do I really have to have this parameter changed to 256 just to install the software? I've actually done one installation with it set to 128 and one with it set to 256 (different machines) and neither installation gave any errors, except for the prerequisite checks.

Can anyone explain the significance of changing this parameter? To change it requires a system reboot - not something we can do just any time we want....

Thanks in advance.