Re: DBWR, Direct I/O and the Devil

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:22:25 -0600

I found a post over at Howard Roger's site [0] that had similar errors on a similar configuration. In the end the user (Jeff, I believe) said that the problem was that "the max-aio-size and the veritas aio size mismatched" and that lining up those two settings fixed the problem. He said that the parameter to tune was discovered_direct_iosz.

I then found this description on another site [1]:

discovered_direct_iosz: Any file I/O request larger than the value defined by this parameter will result in an unbuffered I/O without " a synchronous commit of the inode when the file is extended or blocks are allocated." This is similar to direct I/O. The default value is 256K. For random I/O access pattern, unbuffered or direct I/O is preferred. So, to set 100% of the I/O activities to unbuffered I/O, I would expect setting this parameter less than 8K will do the trick.

My limited reading tells me that such parameters are changed in /etc/vx/tunefstab. I don't currently find such a file in my /etc/vx directory. Should I assume then that my current setting is the default 256K? Can any VxFSophiles say how to see the current settings?

[0] http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/233 [1] http://vegdave.wordpress.com/2007/05/18/vxfs-tuning-notes-from-reading-admin-guide/