Re: Checkpoint in RAC

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:10:28 -0800 (PST)

Checkpoints are instance events, not database events, so in the case outlined below, instance2 would have to start recovery at the point T1 in instance1's redo logs and recover from there. As you may know, instance recovery incurs a certain amount of time where the GRD is frozen and transactions must wait until it is unfrozen before they can continue. Therefore, the amount of time required for recovery will affect the behavior of the database. Moral of the story: take care to ensure that checkpoints happen often enough to keep that window "short" (as defined by you and your application).

Someone please correct me if I've gone off the path somewhere.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Hi

  Anyone put some points on how checkpoint happening in RAC?

  For example intance1 checkpointed at time T1 and instance2 checkpointed at time T2   Now in case of instance1 failure ,how instanace2 does the recovery of instance1.   From which checkpoint time, it will read and apply redo,T1 or T2?

  Thanks in advance
  Syed

Get easy, one-click access to your favorites.  Make Yahoo! your homepage.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Nov 28 2007 - 14:10:28 CST