Re: x86-64 or itanium

From: J Buchanan <oracle_at_digistar.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:55:13 -0500

> We are trying to decide between x86-64 bit and Itanium servers.
>
> For those of you running 64-bit, which hardware and OS are you using.
>
> Jeffrey Beckstrom
> Database Administrator
> Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
> 1240 W. 6th Street
> Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Target the hardware vendor's longevity, quality of hardware and quality of support. I would not touch Itanic (pun intended) hardware with a 10 foot pole - it seems that HP/UX is the last platform to receive updates, patches and fixes by Oracle.

I have been at several client sites in the past 18 months - the companies with the greatest success and least hassle were using Xeon/ Opteron blades with Linux. The next best solution has been Xeon/ Opteron platforms as standalone servers, running Linux. Fujitsu blade servers are coming on strong. My experience with FJ's support was superior to other vendors and their pricing could not be beat. Call your local FJ sales rep and do a bake-off between HP and FJ - FJ will give you all the hardware you want to make an evaluation.

I would recommend consideration of Oracle Enterprise Linux for the OS. I've opened a few SRs in the past couple months and the support for OEL is very good. Rapid, cogent responses from Metalink support.

regards,
Jason