RE: x86-64 or itanium

From: Juan Miranda <j.miranda_at_sermatica.es>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:20:43 +0100

Hi

I use Itanium only with HP-UX on very big an critical clients. Hardware: rx8640, rx6600. Very reliable and good performance (only dual core Itanium).
You can use also Linux and Windows but I think HP-UX will be better.

x86-64 system´s have very good performance. I use it in small to medium database servers.
Linux (I prefer) or Windows (If client wants it).

I always use Windows 32bit by now, but this SO have a 2GB/per process limitation so we are
thinking to change to Windows 64bit. (I need some references on working systems).

I use the SAP bechmark to compare server performance using Oracle. http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx

You need to Download in tab-delimited text format, open with Excel and using autofilter, sort by SAPS.

Another good bechmarks are www.tpc.org and www.spec.org

greetings.