ADMIN: Clarification about off-topic content

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:45:30 +1100

Hi all,

Someone has raised the question of whether religious superscriptions are appropriate on oracle-l. They are.

In general, off topic content is acceptable if it is incidental to the post. So such superscriptions, and commercial announcements in signature lines are fine as long as the body of the post adds value. Similarly, while joke emails are not welcome, humor in the context of a legitimate post is OK.

Any incidental off-topic content must not be offensive. That's a bit fuzzy. For example, most references to alcohol are offensive to me (and to many Muslims) but will not get you banned - we just have different cultural sensitivities. However, sexist and racist "jokes" are generally offensive and will get you banned. If in doubt, ask me before posting. If you are offended by anything, complain to me or the poster, not to the whole list.

@ Regards,
@ Steve Adams
@ http://www.ixora.com.au/ - For DBAs
@ http://www.christianity.net.au/ - For all