Re: Tru64 Doldrums...

From: Luke Davies <luke.davies_at_hansard.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:07:42 +0000

We were getting these SIGSEGV failures for an old Forms 6 executable and after a load of trussing, tracing and support collaboration we noticed that it was using an old Motif library supplied by Oracle and not the OS . Once we then sorted LD_LIBRARY_PATH to pick up the correct library first the problem was solved. We used the ldd command to examine the dynamic dependencies of the forms executable.

This was on Solaris, you may be having a similar problem.

Luke

Stephen de Vries wrote:
> Thanks specifically to Stano Vnuk for responding to my earlier query -
> although his answer wasn't applicable it was appreciated as useful
> information.
>
> We are still in a strange state with our Alpha GS160 although we have
> had some other changes... any insight or off the wall thoughts would
> be appreciated.
>
> Our machine has several releases of 9i and now two different releases
> of 10g on it.
>
> For the longest time we have had 9i and 10gR1 on it and everything was
> functional.
>
> Now dbwr processes fail with a SIGSEGV error (ORA-7445).
>
> In our attempts to determine the issue, we have applied a missing O/S
> patch (5.1b Svc Pack 5 - necessary for 10g support - we have no idea
> why the 10gR1 actually worked before), updated the firmware on the
> unit, and re-seated components that had been changed after the errors
> started occurring.
>
> In our SR with support, we have installed 10gR2 and have run tests on
> it. Before performing the above maintenance, 10gR2 also failed
> although it now refuses to fail. The other releases (9i and 10gR1)
> are still failing.
>
> Since the releases of 9i are not current, support will not deal with
> them although we must because we are supporting installations
> elsewhere on the same O/S - same version.
>
> I've started to look at libraries on the server for differences and I
> am preparing other tests.
>
> I mentioned in the last posting I was considering setting an event and
> even performing a truss of the process to see what is happening. I
> haven't delved into this to see what event or events I might set but
> any suggestions you might have (if you've had a similar circumstance
> on Tru64 or some other O/S) would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts you might have on the matter.
>
> Stephen de Vries

The contents of this message and any attachments are confidential and are intended for the use of the persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, forward, use or alter the message in any way, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the e-mail from your system. The sender is not responsible for any alterations that may have occurred without authorisation. Any files attached to this email will have been checked by us with virus detection software before transmission. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments, as we do not accept any liability for loss or damage which may be caused by viruses.

For information regarding company registration please visit the contact page at www.hansard.com