RE: Question re applying archive logs

From: Vishal Gupta <vishal_at_vishalgupta.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 21:38:51 -0000

I use a similar mechanism for an investment bank for their main trading system.

They had a requirement to have a trimmed down copy made available at the end of every day in reporting, UAT, dev databases. One of main table which has about 400million records (50GB in size) could be reduced to 3 million for EOD (end-of-day) copies.

Solution i used is transportable tablespaces:-

  1. Setup an physical standby database
  2. Stop managed recover at 10pm
  3. Enable flashback
  4. Create guaranteed restore point
  5. Convert standby database into read-write mode.
  6. Put tablespace in read only mode.
  7. Generate transportable tablespace set (TTS).
  8. Export source code etc.
  9. Transfer these files (dmp and datafiles) using DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER, so its DR proof. TNS alias takes care if database is failed over on reporting, UAT, DEV etc.
  10. Plug TTS into remote db
  11. Data pump import into remote db by running impdp standby DB box itself.
  12. Repeat steps 9-11 for other dbs
  13. Start force mount standby db
  14. Flashback to restore point
  15. Drop restore point
  16. Disable Flashback (So that there is no flashback generation during normal day redo apply)
  17. Put standby db in managed recovery mode.
  18. Next day at 10pm start again from step 2.

It works very well for us. Main database is 200GB in size with undo, temp and other tablespace overheads. Copy they need after trim down of main table is only 11GB in size. And last i count there were about 25 copies of production across DEV, UAT, Reporting, Risk DBs etc.

25 * (200GB) = 5,000GB has been reduced to 25*11GB = 275GB.

Not bad i would say!!!