Re: startup OMS error

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:29:45 -0600 (CST)

Assuming you're already logged in as the oracle software owner, you don't need to su to root to start OMS. In fact, the default omsstup script assumes it to be called from system startup (as root) and does an su to the oracle software owner, which is defined within the script.

Judging by the error, I'm thinking your version of omsstup has been customized (at least it doesn't match my vanilla 10.2.0.3.0 version). I also take it by the nature of your question that you are not comfortable with Linux command line, or you would have determined that the omsstup file is a script and viewed it's contents to determine the nature of the error. Given this, you'll want to contact Oracle Support or the person who installed the OMS and/or customized the omsstup script (which, by the percent signs in your error, reeks of a Windows person attempting Posix shell programming without cracking a manual).

**GENERICALLY speaking**, to start the OMS one needs to:

  1. Define the ORACLE_HOME environment variable to be the OMS OH.
  2. Define the PATH
  3. Execute: $ORACLE_HOME/opmn/bin/opmnctl startall

I'd highly Highly HIGHLY recommend that you log out of the server immediately without proper guidance on what *not* to do at the Linux command line prompt, wether you're logged in as root or the oracle software owner.

GL!

Rich