RE: Question re applying archive logs

From: <krish.hariharan_at_quasardb.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:49:58 -0700

While I don't have first hand experience, I investigated this capability in the context of Dataguard; open read write, use the database, and flashback to before the resetlogs to continue with the old incarnation and redo application.

This may not be feasible since this may require setting up the flash recovery area and preserve those logs for flash back through reset logs, but it looks like the technology exists for you to do what you need.

-Krish
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/Flashback_Overvi ew.htm

<quote>
Flashback Database Through RESETLOGS

Flashback Database through RESETLOGS allows flashback logs created prior to a RESETLOGS operation to be utilized for Flashback Database operations. In Oracle Database 10g Release 2, flashback logs are preserved after opening the database with RESETLOGS. This new feature is useful when a long-standing logical error is not discovered until after RESETLOGS is performed, and a flashback prior to RESETLOGS is needed. In an Oracle Data Guard environment, this capability allows a physical standby database that has been opened read-write to later flashback the changes and be converted back to a physical standby database. If a logical error is discovered after a switchover operation, the primary and standby databases can be flashed back to an SCN or a point in time prior to the switchover operation. <unquote>