Re: Disaster Recovery for datawarehouse

From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:23:41 +0100

In my opinion, there is no definitive answer. The recoverability of a DWH is depended on business requirements and the amount of money which that implicates.

Various extreme cases I encountered come to mind: -I remember a datawarehouse at a bank which didn't got backuped because all the data was re-extractable from the sources  (and the actions in the DWH weren't business critical) -I also remember a business critical database which was DG'ed (dataguarded) to be able to go on within reasonable time in case of H/W failure (reasonable here meaning minutes). Yes, we've had to fight with business not to get data not being loaded using direct path. Also the decision was made to make a weekly full backup, other days incremental backups. At the standby database.

frits