Re: Does dataguard require same o/s release on both servers

From: Carel-Jan Engel <careljan_at_dbalert.eu>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:17:38 +0100

Hi William,

From
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/standby.htm#i72053 :

2.3.1 Hardware and Operating System Requirements

The following list describes hardware and operating system requirements for using Data Guard:

        For example, this means a Data Guard configuration with a
        primary database on a 32-bit Linux on Intel system can have a
        standby database that is configured on a 32-bit Linux on Intel
        system. However, a primary database on a 64-bit HP-UX system can
        also be configured with a standby database on a 32-bit HP-UX
        system, as long as both servers are running 32-bit images.

      * The hardware (for example, the number of CPUs, memory size,
        storage configuration) can be different between the primary and
        standby systems.

        If the standby system is smaller than the primary system, you
        may have to restrict the work that can be done on the standby
        system after a switchover or failover. The standby system must
        have enough resources available to receive and apply all redo
        data from the primary database. The logical standby database
        requires additional resources to translate the redo data into
        SQL statements and then execute the SQL on the logical standby
        database.

      * The operating system running on the primary and standby
        locations must be the same, but the operating system release
        does not need to be the same. In addition, the standby database
        can use a different directory structure from the primary
        database.

My main question is: Why would you run different OS's? Regarding HA, both symmetry and simplicity rule.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===