Re: Tuning RMAN backup and recovery

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:44:17 -0800 (PST)

Don a few questions:

  1. What version is this..? Are you using a block tracking file for your incrementals? If not you may be backing up way more information than you need too.
  2. Are you doing your parallel backups to the same disk? You could be running into disk contention if so.
  3. What is your CPU usage during the backup. As mentioned earlier, if you are CPU constrained then compression can slow things down. If you are not CPU constrained then compression can very much speed things up and make your backup images much smaller.

Robert

> I've read the tahiti doc of (nearly) the same name
> [0], but it really
> didn't do too much. I'm pretty sure I've posted
> about this but it's a
> high priority for me now.
>
> Sad story, short: my level 0 database backups take
> over 7 hours.
> People have mentioned to me that they have databases
> of comparable
> size (or larger) backing up in 1-2 hours. I'm
> equally, if not more,
> interested in reducing the restore/recovery
> (duplication) time, which
> has been around 8-10 hours.
>
> Here's the details of this past weekend's level 0
> database backup,
> from v$rman_backup_job_details:
>
> TIME_TAKEN_DISPLAY: 7:30:47
> INPUT_BYTES_DISPLAY: 1.03T
> OUTPUT_BYTES_DISPLAY: 172.91G
> INPUT_BYTES_PER_SEC_DISPLAY: 39.80M
> OUTPUT_BYTES_PER_SEC_DISPLAY: 6.55M
>
> Here's my configuration:
> RMAN> show all;
>
> RMAN configuration parameters are:
> CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7
> DAYS;
> CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION ON;
> CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
> CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
> CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE
> TYPE DISK TO '/rman/%F';
> CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 4 BACKUP TYPE
> TO COMPRESSED BACKUPSET;
> CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE
> DISK TO 1; # default
> CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE
> DISK TO 1; # default
> CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT
> '/rman/%U';
> CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
> CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default
> CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default
> CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; #
> default
> CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO

'/u00/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/dbs/snapcf_xcede.f';

http://www.pythian.com/blogs/363/slow-rman-backups-check-this-out

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmtunin.htm#sthref1057

> --
> Don Seiler
> http://seilerwerks.wordpress.com
> ultimate: http://www.mufc.us

Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Now Available for Pre-Sales on Amazon.com!!!!

Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)