Re: waits

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 20:27:51 -0500

If you're not performance tuning savy DBA, I would suggestby starting to look at Cary Milsap's book - Optimizing Oracle Performance. It describes how mortal DBA's can investigate any (well, at least most) performance problem without being an expert.

If you have EE + diagnostic pack license, you can probably do the same with ASH.

If you have relatively good understanding of Oracle instance, you can use Statspack and AWR but they require some more advanced Oracle skills.

There would be some help from this list if you can provide a statspack report for slow period and give your hardware specs.

On 11/15/07, Joe Armstrong-Champ <joseph.armstrong-champ_at_tufts.edu> wrote:
> We have been having performance issues since we upgraded from 8i to
> 10.2.0.3. OS is aix 5.2.
>
> Someone showed me the results from a query against v$system_event but
> I'm not sure if the number of waits or the average waits is high. Can
> anyone comment about this or tell me where I can find info about what
> numbers are "too high"? :
>
> EVENT TOTAL_WAITS TIME_WAITED AVERAGE_WAIT
>
> db file parallel read 1959 1988 1.01
> latch: shared pool 135658 226721 1.67
> latch free 11828 19785 1.67
> latch: cache buffers chains 5735 13096 2.28
> latch: library cache 140371 719066 5.12
> log file sequential read 1398 8014 5.73
>
> Thanks.
> Joe

Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com
BAAG party - www.BattleAgainstAnyGuess.com