Re: moving data between backends (fast connectivity need)

From: Cosmin Ioan <cosmini_at_bridge-tech.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:47:26 -0800 (PST)

DTS truly is simple and fast indeed (10-15k recs/sec move on a laptop, in a vmware machine, both Ora and M$ and BIDS loaded in vmware).

My problem is having tons of tables and many field changes every now and then. I have to manually invoke the dtswizard every time and that's a pain, I'd much rather write a script go scoop the dictionary and move my data that way, rather than the point and click dtswizard .... or maybe I need to automate the dtswizard...hmm, that could be an idea (talking out loud to myself)

My problem is that using the LinkedServer on the MS SQL Server (2005) is painfully slow....Is using a LinkedServer indeed the de-facto slow method?

My initial reasoning was that I want to remove the middle tier SSIS/DTS if I can.... technically, reducing the number of tiers should be fast(er)... but practically, at least in this instance, that does not seem to be the case.

thx much Alex -- any additional thoughts? ;-) Cosmin

Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com> wrote: Not that I'm favoring M$ tools too much but I heard that DTS is pretty simple and fast. At least on our clients is using it to pull data from Oracle and they don't complain.
I think they use Oracle ODBC driver.

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com