RE: ORA-230 and RMAN scheduling

From: <krish.hariharan_at_quasardb.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:09:26 -0700

I have seen this occur when the control file backup is in progress (or stuck in the media manager) and a resync starts. The resync is either explicit or implicit. The resync will fail unable to snap the control file. I have also seen in various releases of oracle, bugs, which causes ALL the channels do an implicit resync, when connected to a catalog, before and after the actual backup (especially archive log backups). Rediscovery is pretty easy in this case: look for implicit resync messages in the rman log associated with each channel.

To get around that I converted the archive log backups (and all other backups) to control file only backups (nocatalog) followed by an explicity resync (resync catalog) to the catalog.

I place a higher priority on archive log backups (every 20 minutes) over control file backups and consequently execute the control file backups just a couple of times a day.

Hope this is related to your circumstance and is helpful

Regards
-Krish