How much I/O service time?

From: Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:35:25 -0500

For your busiest and most critical production systems, how much of total database service time (Top 5 Timed Events in Statspack or ASH reports) is I/O: db file sequential read, db file scattered read, db file parallel write?

Some people at my shop want to move to double striping on the new server we'll be moving to, on the grounds that we'll need it when volumes grow from the current 2 or 3 million trades/day to as many as 10 million. At the moment, db file sequential read and db file parallel write typically total about 15% of total database time, which I think is acceptable. I just need a reality check, so any info you can give me will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
Securities Processing Databases Americas One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
USA
Phone 212.538.1143
paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com