RE: Oracle VM ?

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:29:29 -0600 (CST)

I think there's a fundamental difference between VM and clustering. To me, the benefit of VM is in the consolidation of many disparate servers onto a single physical server, with the savings in rack space, power, cooling, annual hardware maintenance and potentially software licensing (OK, the last one's a stretch). Contrast that to RAC, where the hardware is multiplied for performance, HA, DR, etc.

The benefit for us to use VM is to be able to consolidate smaller independant servers onto a single (yet redundant) server. The obvious drawback/consideration with a move like this is HA/DR. Now, 5 or 6 VMs will be tied to the same physical server. In our case, the idea is to greatly reduce the management needs of aging hardware and Windows foibles (e.g. regular rebooting *needed* to solve issues). Instead of replacing 5 aging servers with 5 new ones where each new server's capabilities will be well over the need for it's hosted app, we can buy one quad-core (or dual*2) with redundant components and host all the previous apps in their own virtual server. The savings for us should be substantial over the life of the server.

This topic is enough for a week's worth of long, drawn-out meetings. As with most everything, YMMV with VM.

Rich

Disclaimer: Ohhhhhhh, I thought you said "BM". Completely different. ;)

[snip]