ORA-01552: cannot use system rollback segment for non-system tablespace 'string'

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:55:15 -0700

Production - RHEL 4.0, 64-bit Oracle 9.2.0.8 SE1 Test - RHEL 4.0, 32-bit Oracle 9.2.0.5, SE1 Development - RHEL 4.0, 32-bit Oracle 9.2.0.5 EE (Named user license)

I have a developer trying to do an insert/rollback, in production no less. He says it works in his schema in the development database and the test schema. Unfortunately, these databases are not the same releases as production. The rollback is failing with this error:

ORA-01552: cannot use system rollback segment for non-system tablespace 'string'

We are using UNDO not rollback and I verified that the user he is connecting as has the correct privileges and has an assigned default and temporary tablespace that is not SYSTEM. I'm at a loss where to look for his problem. Any ideas? (Other than developers shouldn't be in production. Working on that piece with my new boss.)

Sandy