Re: sql server2005 for a change in 3TB range

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:50:04 +0000

I've not done enough tests yet, but I currently believe rebuilding sqlserver indexes to be pretty much just as bad a myth as the oracle variety.

Sqlserver will probably scale to the level you suggest - there are probably some SAP installations quoted at around that size on the web that run mssql - but as with building any scalable application it requires that the developers and designers know the architecture. Peter is quite right to point out that to anyone coming from an Oracle background the need to think about locking in the design of your application is a bit weird - conversely for people coming from a sqlserver background the idea of thinking about how to ensure that your sql doesn't trash the shared pool is rather weird.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info