Re: Urgent: RMAN Question

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:49:50 -0800 (PST)

I'm at Open World, so my responses will be slow in coming but the natural first questions anyone is going to have are: what version are you using and if it's 9i or later do you have control file autobackups? Are you using a recovery catalog?

Control files are backed up as a part of the normal backup process ... so, if you must you can manually extract the control file from a backup set. It's painful but possible.

RF

> I'm researching on the internet at the same time I'm
> emailing this
> question. I hope someone can point me in the right
> direction.
>

> We recently lost our SAN and had to reinitialize it.
> We've restored the
> backups from tape but I have one database that lost
> all its
> controlfiles. Normally we multiplex the
> controlfiles and have one copy
> on the C:\ drive.
>
> This DB did not have that setup.
>

> So, now my question is, how can I recover the
> controlfile from the most
> recent backup if RMAN doesn't have a controlfile to
> read from to find
> the latest backup?? :-)
>

> Here's the script that backs up the database in
> question:
>

> backup database plus archivelog delete input;
>
> delete noprompt obsolete;
>

> Any help?
>

> Chris Taylor
>
> Sr. Oracle DBA
>
> Ingram Barge Company
>
> Nashville, TN 37205
>
> Office: 615-517-3355
>
> Cell: 615-354-4799
>
> Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Now Available for Pre-Sales on Amazon.com!!!!

Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)