Re: Data Guard Physical standby 9i archive log registration

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:50:03 -0500

Ranco,

I haven't seen any replies so here it goes...

I think you can't register dummy redo logs - I remember that I had issues registering corrupted archivelogs on standby. As far as I understand, you need to register them to make available managed log apply process. Otherwise, it won't find them. This mean that after they have been applied with manual recovery, they don't need to be registered.

In fact, you don't really want them registered if they are deleted and if you do want them registered, you should run crosscheck archivelog from RMAN so that it at least mars them unavailable. I might have missed something here so if someone noticed something strange - please correct.

Cheers,
Alex

On Nov 1, 2007 6:25 PM, Ranko Mosic <ranko.mosic_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
> I am maintaining above mentioned database.
> We will switch to automactic archive log transfer (
> log_archive_dest_state_2 = ENABLE ).
> Until that happens archive logs are transferred using OS command and
> "recover automatic standby database parallel 44" command runs.
> Once applied, logs are ( also manually ) registered.
> Question:
> Is archive log registration a must for proper functioning ( if we want
> failover later, switchover etc ) ?
> Some logs were deleted before registered ( so they are applied, just
> not registered ).
> Do we have to restore those logs from tape, or we could safely skip
> this step all together ( contrary to what manuals say ) ?
> Can we just create dummy arch log files and register those ? Does
> Oracle do any checks on file contents, or this is mere formality and
> any file with proper name will do ?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ranko Mosic
> Consultant Senior Oracle DBA
> B. Eng, Oracle 10g, 9i Certified Database Professional
> Phone: 416-450-2785
> email: mosicr_at_rogers.com
> http://ca.geocities.com/mosicr@rogers.com/ContractSeniorOracleDBARankoMosicMain.html

Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com
BAAG party - www.BattleAgainstAnyGuess.com