Re: Is it possible to rename/move datafile online - possibly under RMAN?

From: Vijay Vardhineni <vvardhineni_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 08:29:26 -0700

If you are using 10g and if you are specifically using the procedure that uses RMAN, Did you try Incremental merge backups? You can use RMAN to copy the datafiles to a different location and then recover these files using incremental merge backups. You should be able to switch datafiles using RMAN. This will reduce the downtime.

  You can put the tablespaces begin backup mode. Please note that you need to do this when there is not much activity on the database. You preferably may want to do one datafile at a time. Oracle generates lots of redo when there are are any changes to the data in the data files that are in begin backup mode.

Vijay