RE: Poor performance on bulk transfer across db link -- wrapup

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:06:44 -0500

long thread - I'm not sure whether anyone mentioned the alternative of sqlplus copy. Arraysize and copycommit control the ack nak and avoid creating a single gigantic transaction. You have to be careful about whether all the types you have are fully supported, and may sure your session LONG is set to at least the length of your longest long in a given table being copied. Since the monolithic transaction size is controlled it is reasonable to ramp up the number of concurrent sessions running copies to your desired level of saturation of cpus and network bandwidth. My experience is that running the copy of from the side you are pulling to works marginally better, but the last time a copied a *LOT* of data this way was when you could still time network database transport speeds with an analog wristwatch.

Regarding other approaches, do not underestimate the speed of sneakernet. Are your servers within walking distance? Do they have compatible media?

Good luck.