No records in v$asm_disk

From: Brian Lucas <moabrivers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 08:40:08 -0700

All, I've been reading through the forums and metalink looking for this particular problem but haven't been able to find the answer. I have 2 nodes (OEL 5) multipathed to our backend storage. Both nodes are configured with asmlib and the CRS daemons are installed and running great on them. The whole setup is 10g release 2.

Prior to disk creation, I set the ORACLEASM_SCANORDER in /etc/sysconfig/oracleasm and added "multipath dm" to it. I even added "sd" to ORACLEASM_SCANEXCLUDE so that all scans happen on the multipath channel.

I then create the disk with the following (I have tested this from both node1 and node2).

#service oracleasm createdisk TESTDATA /dev/dm-4

Scanning the asm disks on both nodes as root successfully shows the TESTDATA asm disk (service oracleasm scandisks followed by service oracleasm listdisks).

On node1, querying v$asm_disk shows TESTDATA provisioned and ready to go. Node2 never shows it. I have added ORCL:* to the asm_diskstring and bounced the instance on node2 but to no avail.

 I have blown away the configuration, zeroed out the underlying storage, and started fresh but I get the same results.

Here's the SQL output from node2.

SQL> show parameter asm

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
asm_diskgroups                       string
asm_diskstring                       string      ORCL:*
asm_power_limit                      integer     1
SQL> select * from v$asm_disk;

no rows selected

SQL> If I query /dev/oracleasm/disks, I do see the TESTDATA disk owned by oracle:dba on both nodes.

Can anyone point me in a direction I haven't tried?

Thanks!

Brian