Re: sql server2005 for a change in 3TB range

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 08:34:07 -0600 (CST)

Sorry for the delay in replying -- I couldn't breathe from laughing so hard.

We have a *40GB* DB in SS and the corruption issues are nearly unbearable. I think I've got it narrowed down to conflict in maintenance plans, where the optimization job, trans log backup, full backup, and, ironically, the integrity check job collide if the server's "too busy".

Granted, I've spent 10 years with Oracle and only a few months with SS, but it seems more than coincidental that I've already repaired 3 (4? I lost count...) corrupted objects, including a data page, and across two separate servers. The only corruption I've ever had with Oracle was 7.3.4 on Winders, where the exclusion list for BackupExec was missing the datafiles, which apparently need to be locked while backing up.

Run! Run far far away! Save yourself! If you're like me, you'll find the world of SS (and possibly Sybase) to be a tad archaic with the *need* for index rebuilds and the brute-force locking. I guess I've come to take some of the features of Oracle for granted. I now can see very clearly the business advantage of Oracle, even at the SE One edition level.

HTH! GL! Rich