Re: Is it possible to rename/move datafile online - possibly under RMAN?

From: Vitalis Jerome <vitalisman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:13:32 +0100

No, there is no such functionality in RMAN. (BTW what's your version?)

If you can afford taking the related tablespace READ ONLY during the operation, you may try such a method: tablespace switch to READ ONLY -> OS copy of the datafile (long) -> datafile switch to OFFLINE -> datafile renaming -> datafile switch to ONLINE -> tablespace switch to READ WRITE which limits the unavailability duration.

Be sure to try the procedure on a test box beforehand. ;)