Re: use of nested tables to resolve many to many relationships

From: Job Miller <jobmiller_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:20:39 -0800 (PST)

it was just for you, but since it went out to everyone i'll elaborate.... no, i'll let asktom elaborate for you.

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:8135488196597
<quote>
1) they are parent child tables in disguise but ones that add:

a 16 byte raw with a unique constraint on the parent table.  Most likely you ALREADY HAVE a primary
key on the parent table and most likely it is smaller.

a 16 byte raw that you need to index on the child (not auto-indexed, you need to know to do it).
This is the foreign key and is hidden from you.

The inability to put many types of constraints on the nested table..

They are simple parent/child tables - except you lose the ability to access the child table
directly.

2) you are NOT storing anything in a "single row".  Physically they are a parent child table pair,
nothing more, nothing less

If you have my book "Expert one on one Oracle" - I write about them in there, describe their
implementation and talk about when I would use them.

</quote>

<quote from Tom K.>
i use object relational extensions as a tool to make PLSQL more powerful.  I have yet to use
these features to store data -- although as a method to store an XML document in a "structured"
format, they might have some appeal
</quote>

--------