Re: Incomplete recovery question

From: Maureen English <sxmte_at_email.alaska.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:15:29 -0900

Jeremiah;

Yes, it's a copy of the database (actually multiple copies over the last few weeks). I did get older datafiles, put them in place and repeated my recover command. That worked fine. I think that the mistake we've been making is that we then do an alter database open reset logs, then shutdown, startup mount, and alter database open read only. I'm guessing that if we skip the reset logs command, we can open the database read only, check the data, shutdown the database, roll forward another log, open read only, shutdown, etc.

Regarding using only the datafiles with the tables we're looking at, nope, didn't know that we could do an incomplete recovery with minimal datafiles. *That* would have saved us many, many hours! Now that we have this whole thing in place, I'm thinking that we can do some practice scenarios to help us in the future.