Re: Incomplete recovery question

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 12:29:49 -0800

Yes, you can just continue recovering after hitting ORA-1152, but to get a consistent and normally openable database, you will have to either recover everything to Aug. 17, or get rid of the files from Aug. 17 (offline drop or create controlfile without them). That will only be useful if the data you are after is not in those files.

Please let us know what version and platform you are on. There are ways to open the database read-only without invalidating the recovery session. You could check after applying each log then continue.

Have you considered using strings and grep to find the changed value? If the before or after value is a distinctive string, it is easy to find which archivelog a change resides in:

$ strings <logfile> | grep <string>

Hope this helps,

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting