Re: who's got the biggest and the fastest?

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 14:09:26 -0800

I don't recall a comment as such from Larry, but Oracle already has the core functionality to compete with many of these upstarts. It's just a matter of leveraging it correctly and putting enough hardware behind it.

By "upstarts" I'm guessing you mean appliance vendors. You may find this an interesting read:
http://www.hiredbrains.com/HB-QuestionsWP.pdf

Most of the big players in data warehousing have a non-simplistic system. Some might call it Enterprise Data Warehousing or EDW. I am not aware of any Oracle EDW being replaced by any upstart/appliance, but I do know of at least one customer who tried and failed after 7+ months of pain and suffering. They have since given up on the appliance. It was unstable and didn't have the functionality that their oracle system had.

I've seen both RAC and large SMP warehouses work quite well. It comes down to requirements and budget and the correct application of technology.

For large DSS, the musts are partitioning, compression and parallel query. That's really it. And again, having enough hardware. It's pretty much become a hardware stockpiling game. The CPU core counts are going into the hundreds and the I/O bandwidth into the high single, to low double digit gigabytes per second. After that, it's down to good execution plans.

I'd also suggest understanding how the products work, not just their results. In order to get the high sequential I/O read rates, many appliances run just one query at a time. Why? Because you can't truly have sequential I/O when there is more than one process reading from a disk. I've been told that multi-user test break these appliances.

Feel free to contact me offline as well.

--
Regards,

Greg Rahn
http://structureddata.org