RE: OEM Agent Alert History Graph

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 12:57:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

In the off-chance that anyone was interested in the outcome of this....

I traced the OMS sessions to try to find the query being used to populate the bar graphs (not immediately obvious which query it was but tracing for a very short instance around viewing the graph limited the choices). Turned out it was this query:

SELECT :B3 +
(CNT.C*:B8 )/:B1 START_POINT, MAX(SEV.SEVERITY_CODE) SEVERITY_CODE FROM (SELECT
/*+ INDEX(s) */ S.COLLECTION_TIMESTAMP, NVL(S.SEVERITY_DURATION/24, :B2 -S.COLLECTION_TIMESTAMP) SEVERITY_DURATION, S.SEVERITY_CODE FROM MGMT_SEVERITY S WHERE S.TARGET_GUID = :B7 AND S.METRIC_GUID = :B6 AND S.SEVERITY_CODE IN (:B5 , :B4 ) AND S.COLLECTION_TIMESTAMP+NVL(S.SEVERITY_DURATION/24, :B2 -S.COLLECTION_TIMESTAMP) > :B3 AND S.COLLECTION_TIMESTAMP < :B2 ) SEV,
(SELECT /*+ INDEX(o) */ ROWNUM-1 C FROM SYS.OBJ$ O WHERE OBJ# > 0 AND ROWNUM
<= :B1 ) CNT WHERE SEV.COLLECTION_TIMESTAMP >= :B3 + (CNT.C*:B8 )/:B1 - SEV.SEVERITY_DURATION AND SEV.COLLECTION_TIMESTAMP <= :B3 + ((CNT.C+1)*:B8 )/:B1 GROUP BY :B3 + (CNT.C*:B8 )/:B1 For my single collection error it produced 70 rows of data - at chronological intervals. However the data was returned in an arbitrary (non-chronological) order.

Sorry, BAAG guys :-), but I then guessed that this lack of ordering was the problem, and so set OPTIMIZER_FEATURE_ENABLE = 9.2.0 and flushed the shared pool. Doing this caused the GROUP BY to also do an implicit ordering and return the data in chronological order.

Re-freshing the graph in the OEM browser window then redrew the graph exactly as I expected as a big chunk of red while the target was down, not dozens of random vertical lines all over the place.

It looks like OEM expects this data to be date-ordered but is relying on GROUP BY to do it - which won't work with the 10g optimizer.

I've asked a colleague to raise an SR on this - see if we can keep with OPTIMIZER_FEATURE_ENABLE = 9.2.0 as a workaround, although obviously getting Oracle to fix the SQL would be better.

Charlotte.

-----Original
Message-----