Re: Adding CPU to a unix box--added capacity.

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 19:37:30 -0500

In addition to my previous reply and to what David shared, I can mention result of one project with our client where we did a benchmark of CPUs migrating from double core Santa Rosa to quad core Barcelona. Single core of Barcelona was slower (we had one of the first chips I think... something like 1.6 or 1.8 GHz). We calculated new and old capacity purely based on number of cores and GHz and we had 60% increase in capacity.

We used TPC-C traffic and we did see increase of throughput on the same level. However, TPC-C transactions are very simplistic and usually far from real-life transactions.

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com