Re: Adding CPU to a unix box--added capacity.

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 14:39:20 -0400

If you double number of CPUs then it's likely that your CPU consumption in percentage of total capacity will be halfed providing you keep the same workload and there is no overherad of adding CPU from hardware and OS point of view which is probably fair assumption these days (at least going from 8 to 16 CPUs).

However, increasing workload might (and generaly does for Oracle) cause disproportional growth of CPU consumption and adding 100% of CPU capacity doesn't mean you can process twice as much even if no other bottlenecks are created.

Just my 2 cents.

Alex

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com