Re: LD_PRELOAD

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 20:37:14 -0600

I don't know a thing about LD_PRELOAD, but here is a link to an example of how it might be used to diagnose performance issues: http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/lib_interposers.html

I would expect that this would only be useful, though, if you know a lot about the implementation of the program you are going to use it on. Without source code for Oracle, it might be of rather limited use.

The only other benefit I can imagine is perhaps using this to move a shared library (very) commonly used by Oracle to the front of the list. I've never heard anybody talk about time to load shared libraries as a major contributor to Oracle overhead, though, except perhaps in cases where your applications are making very frequent connections to the database. Most people address that problem with connection pooling and similar techniques, though.

Anyway, I'm kind of curious to learn what your sysadmins have in mind. Let us know if anything useful comes of this.

On 11/2/07, Best, David <David.Best_at_cognos.com> wrote:

> Hey all, has anyone ever used LD_PRELOAD to resolve performance issues?
> Our Unix guy says that they have used this setting in the past with
> great results. I've searched metalink and the documentation but
> haven't seen anything for performance. The main reason for its use, that
> I can see, is to resolve some shared library errors.
>
> Thanks

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead
   Senior DBA,