RE: Data Guard Delete Applied ArcLogs

From: Elliott, Patrick <patrick.elliott_at_medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 07:06:01 -0500

If you are worried about deleting unbacked up archive logs then just include the clause "BACKED UP 1 TIME"

Pat

From: David Barbour [mailto:david.barbour1_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:09 PM To: Elliott, Patrick
Cc: JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org; oracle-l
Subject: Re: Data Guard Delete Applied ArcLogs

Hmmm....I'm using a catalog and don't think I'd want to do that. I think (from experience) if you're using a recovery catalog and run that command from the standby, you're going to risk deleting logs on the primary as well as potentially deleting logs that haven't been applied (what if your managed recovery process crashes for some reason?).

On 10/31/07, Elliott, Patrick <patrick.elliott_at_medtronic.com<mailto:patrick..elliott_at_medtronic.com>> wrote: You could just write an RMAN script to do it. Add the command below to delete the archivelogs up until yesterday. You can connect with nocatalog if you don't have an RMAN catalog.

DELETE ARCHIVELOG UNTIL TIME = sysdate -1;

Pat

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>] On Behalf Of David Barbour Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:59 PM To: JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org<mailto:JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org> Cc: oracle-l

Hi Jack,

In 9i, unless you're backing up from the standby and specify delete all input(which has pitfalls and perils all its own), you're going to have to script something.

On 10/31/07, JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org<mailto:JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org> < JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org<mailto:JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org>> wrote:

Oracle9i ( 9.2.0.8<http://9..2.0.8>) on HPUX.

Am I just missing it or is there no way to configure a Physical Standby and/or Data Guard Broker to automatically delete archived redo logs after they are successfully applied? I've searched the docs and can't find that it's possible. I also checked to see if RMan could do it - no luck.

Will I just have to cron a script to periodically query V$Archived_Log and generate the rm commands?

Thanks.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D.
414.9715 (phone) / 935.5929 (pager)

CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE
Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records.

To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com