TNS listener question

From: Sweetser, Joe <JSweetser_at_icat.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:26:06 -0600

Oracle 9.2.0.6 on RedHat AS 2.1

I just found out that one my listener.ora files does not have a SID_LIST_LISTENER entry for the main database on that server. I discovered this because I am setting up a duplicate database (from another server) and went to add the duplicate database to the listener.ora.

lsnrctl status seems OK to me:

<snip>
Services Summary...
Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
  Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "dctmp.icat.com" has 1 instance(s).   Instance "dctmp", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service... Service "tirosprod.icat.com" has 1 instance(s).   Instance "tiros", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service... The command completed successfully

dctmp is an old database that's been decommissioned (but, ironically, does have an entry in listener.ora). tiros is the current, running database on the server.

My guess is that tiros auto-registered with the listener (it's been up since July 9) but I am wondering if I will cause any grief if I:

  1. Edit listener.ora to "reflect reality" - remove dctmp, add tiros database and my new duplicate one
  2. Do a lsnrctl reload

It's a production box so I need to be careful.

Thanks for any insight/advice/etc.

-joe

Confidentiality Note: This message contains information that may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, disclose, distribute or take any action based on this message. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply email and delete this message. Although ICAT Managers, LLC scans e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses. Thank you.