RE: processes vs sessions

From: Taylor, Chris David <Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:11:24 -0500

Mir,

I realized my previous email, might have sounded a bit harsh, so here's some more info.

http://www.puschitz.com/TuningLinuxForOracle.shtml

Now, that's for Linux but can be ported to different Unix versions as well.
Do a search for SEMMSL on that page and you'll see how it impacts the processes parameter for your instance(s).

I've also seen it recommended to set SEMMSL to:

Instance A: processes=75
Instance B: processes=225
Instance C: processes=100

=
Total Processes: 400 to set SEMMSL to 410 to 415 (10-15 additional processes)

Technically, these should have been set before the Oracle installation occurred.

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205