Re: filesystemio_options option on solaris 9 sparc 64-bit (Oracle 10g)

From: Finn Jorgensen <finn.oracledba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:08:01 -0500

From my very recent testing, If you set filesystemio_options to setall and you're using UFS it will use direct io. On vxfs it will use AIO. If you set it to directio it will use directio in either filesystem. If you set the direct io filesystem options (mincache and/or convosync) you will be using directio regardless of this parameter. If you link ODM you will be using directio.

1 more thing, when working with LOB's on Solaris having this parameter set to asynch resulted in a lot of fdsync system calls being made which was extremely slow. With the parameter set to setall the fdsync calls went away, but still AIO was being used on Veritas filesystems, but now it was almost as fast as direct IO due to the lack of fdsync calls.

I have an open SR with Oracle/VOS on this subject.

HTH
Finn