STRIPING AT Oracle Level

From: DBA Deepak <oracle.tutorials_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 02:55:33 +0530

Hi Experts,

Due to cost implications of RAID controllers we have thought of implementing striping at Oracle level using multiple data files per tablespace and spreading them across various disks. Our goal is to distribute IO uniformly across disks. Would like to have your expert comments on the following...

> Is the above a better approach than balacing the IO by placing various
objects in different tablespaces based on the IO on them i.e., by monitoring the IO on various objects and placing them in appropriate tablespaces depending on the IO that happens on them?

What are the pros-cons in our approach?

--
Regards,

Deepak