Re: RMAN backupset on disk and tape

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:40:09 -0700

On 10/24/07, Juan Miranda <j.miranda_at_sermatica.es> wrote:
> Then I backup these backupieces to tape as simple files and made a "delete
> noprompt force obsolete;"
> to delete old backupieces from disk.
>
> What happens if I wish to recover one of these deleted-from-disk backupieces
> ?
> In 9i it seems you canīt catalog backupieces.

In this situation I think it a good idea to use a catalog, and leave the metadata in the catalog.

ie. set a lengthy time for retention policy in the catalog, delete the files at the OS level, and set control_file_record_keep_time to a reasonable value in the event you must restore without the catalog.

When you need clean old records out of the catalog, (IIRC) you will need to first run a crosscheck.

Perhaps there's a 'cleaner' method of doing this, I haven't yet been able to experiment much with this, though it's on my todo list.

--
Jared Still