_optimizer_cost_based_transformation=OFF risks

From: <saqibz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:01:43 -0400

Hello All,

We are using Oracle 10.2.0.3 on SPARC 64 bit with patches applied up to CPUJul2007. Even since our upgrade from 10.2.0.2, we have started to hit bug#4686006. The good thing is that there is a patch available, which we will apply as soon as we get the red tape issues worked out. An alternate workaround mentioned in the metalink doc#392551.1 is to unset the _optimizer_cost_based_transformation parameter. I can understand that by turning it off I would be relying on heuristics for SQL transformations i.e. view merging, predicate push or un-nesting etc. But, by setting it at the system level, wouldn't that leave out a lot of good stuff that would have come to use because of the cost based SQL transformations. I guess my question is, what should i should be looking out for and if anyone can share their experiences with similar issues(good, bad or ugly) after changing the _optimizer_cost_based_transformation=OFF

regards,

saqib