RE: Reorg to put columns in order

From: kathy duret <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:21:47 -0700 (PDT)

You could also fix the objects under the classes in the universe so they are in alphabetical order or in an order that makes sense to them. You can do this without changing the database.

  It is very easy to do, you just drap and drop then export the universe.

  Feel free to talk to me offline about it. Our universe designer left and I have to do some work over there once in a while. We use both deski and webi in Business Objects XIR2. We don't use the Crystal report tool so I can't help you there.

  Kathy

"Zanen van, J (Jacob)" <Jacob.van.Zanen_at_rabobank.com> wrote:

      Thx for all the replies

  Confirmed I am not crazy :-)

  The political war has been fought (by my manager mostly ) and lost. this 1 minute job became a sunday job as it can not be done during business hours.

  Brgds

  Jack

  From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) [mailto:Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us] Sent: Tuesday, 23 October 2007 1:06 AM
To: Zanen van, J (Jacob); oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Reorg to put columns in order

  Jack,

  It sounds like you are running into more of a political issue rather than a technical one.

  Two ways to deal with it:

  Do what they wish, but explain that you need "migration time" to accomplish the task whenever they add a column. Tell them it takes half a day because it may take this long on a large table to create the new table and bring all the data over to it.

  Explain that this is totally unneeded because BO does not care (according to Kerber & Naim). But this will force you into learning how to do this to show them.

  Either way, you have some work to do.

  Tom

  From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Zanen van, J (Jacob) Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 2:00 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Reorg to put columns in order

  Hi All,

  I'm having a bit of an issue with our designers/developers for our so called "datawarehouse"   Columns are added to tables every so often based on requirements from the business. They however insist on doing a reorg to get the columns in a certain order so when they pull them up in BO the columns show up in an order that makes sense to them. I have raised my doubts about this procedure as it takes a 2 second job and squeezes it in a 7 hour job.   I can see from a chained/migrated row point of view that there might be a valid reason for it but since they have always done it this I see no way for me to find out how bad this is going to be. I suspect for most of these tables it won't make much difference as they are not filled with data for historical records AFAIK.   My solution for them was to create a view on top of the table but they rejected the idea and insist this is the way to go.   Anybody have any insight for me.

  Thnx

  Jack

  This email, including any attachments, may be confidential or privileged, and is sent for the personal attention of the intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please delete it immediately. The views expressed are not necessarily those of the Rabobank Group. The Group is not liable for the effects of any virus which may be contained in this email.   If this email contains marketing material and you do not wish to receive such material by email in future, please reply to this email and place the words "Remove My Details - Electronic Messages" in the Subject Header.   The Rabobank Group
  Australia: 1800 025 484
New Zealand: 0800 500 933

  This email, including any attachments, may be confidential or privileged, and is sent for the personal attention of the intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please delete it immediately. The views expressed are not necessarily those of the Rabobank Group. The Group is not liable for the effects of any virus which may be contained in this email.   If this email contains marketing material and you do not wish to receive such material by email in future, please reply to this email and place the words "Remove My Details - Electronic Messages" in the Subject Header.   The Rabobank Group
  Australia: 1800 025 484
New Zealand: 0800 500 933

Do You Yahoo!?