Re: Heterogeneous Services

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:55:28 +0100

I had a paper that is similar to your situation (at http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com/WhitePapers/SettingUpGenericConnectivity.pdf) though both servers were win32. Answers also embedded

> 1. Do I need to install/run an Oracle listener on the MSSQL box?

No.

2. Do I need to get a 3rd party ODBC driver for my Oracle/Linux server?
> If so, any vendor/freeware/shareware recommendations are appreciated.
> I've been poking around the DataDirect.com site so far.

You'll indeed need an odbc driver for the linux box. - I believe datadirect are pretty good.

3. I see many references to the hsodbc "program". Is this really a
> program/executable or just the way to tell the listener to use the HS
> that are configured in the Oracle database?

it's really a program.

4. Last, any pointers/links to docs are appreciated.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA