Re: Reorg to put columns in order

From: Mike Haddon <m.haddon_at_tx.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:40:50 -0500

In my experience, you are at odds with the developers because they only have confidence in one way. I would recommend that you provide the statistics of both methods of getting the data. If you can show that reorganizing the table buys them nothing then they cannot deny it. Once they see that getting the columns in the order they wish even if the reorg is not performed, is just as efficient, then it is on their plate to show the benefit.

Show them that the reorg, while time consuming and resource intensive, is unnecessary, then let them justify the cost.

Just my .02

Mike