RE: Basic Recovery Qs ?

From: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:34:04 +0530

Thanks Chris for responding

My Replies to your Questions are embedded below preceded by =>

Cheers

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Taylor, Chris David Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 6:51 PM

Why an existing backup contolfile to trace?

=> Control file needs to be RE-Created as the Cold Backup of Database is currently extracted in a Different Directory Set from Tape versus the Directory Set from which the Database cold backup was originally taken.

Why are the datafiles 'missing'?

=> Extraction from Tape failed in-between with the following Error Message & thus a few datafiles are missing.
Error Message:-
/usr/local/bin/tar: Unexpected EOF in archive /usr/local/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Is this from a production db that is functioning correctly? (I assume the answer is no)

=> NO

Maybe this is an archived db that you're restoring from tape or something to get some old data out of?

=> YES
Chris Taylor

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of VIVEK_SHARMA

Folks

For a Test Database the Controlfile needs to be CREATED from an existing "backup control file to Trace SQL Script" but a few Datafiles are MISSING.

How is the Controlfile to be created in such a case?

I am assuming the following Steps:-

1)Missing datafile names should NOT be Removed from the Controlfile Trace SQL Script
2)Control file should be created.
3)Thereafter Missing datafiles should be Dropped.

Cheers & Thanks

Vivek

Oracle 10gR2
Solaris 10