Re: RAC is slower than non-RAC for batch job with lots of update/delete?

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 06:21:31 -0700

Chuck,

> I have heard that the Oracle kernel will keep track of how many times a gc
> request is made, and upon hitting a certain threshold, will remaster a
> particular block (or table?) to the node making a majority of the requests.
> Which makes me wonder. If your batch job is always connecting to a specific
> node, could the blocks be mastered explicitly to that node? I ask that of
> the list.

Yes. The behavior is called Dynamic Resource Mastering. If one object (or set of objects) continuously accessed in one particular node the objects are mastered in that node. Check Chapter 11 (Global Resource Directory) of the 10g RAC Handbook..

There used to be some issues in the past (related to node evictions during DRM) and we turn off the DRM if you are < 10.2.0.3.

-Gopal

--
Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan