RE: PARALLEL QUERY

From: <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:50:53 +0100

Hints are not suggestions - they direct the optimizer through (or away from) a specific code path, or direct it to adjust some of the arithmetic.

The problem with hints is that they are badly documented, hardly anyone really knows what they mean, and nobody has any idea about what special case code might exist that affects the way that a hint is followed.

In this case we have very little to go on: the OP does not tell us what the query was selecting, nor the execution path that was actually taken. However:

To the best of my knowledge the /*+ parallel(alias, degree) */ hint does NOT tell the optimizer to use parallel execution, it merely tells the optimizer to divide the cost of a tablescan on 'alias' by 'degree' (allowing for the effect of the _optimizer_percent_parallel in general and a fixed 0.9 scaling factor in 10g specifically) and then follow the consequences.

It is perfectly feasible that the optimizer found a serial index access path that was cheaper than the 'tablescan cost / 4' dictated by the hint.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis