RE: Database Link Question

From: Taylor, Chris David <Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:31:06 -0500

Quick update to this....SYS.LINK$ has a lot of link information in it even though we don't have those database links.

Very bizarre.

Chris Taylor

Sr. Oracle DBA

Ingram Barge Company

Nashville, TN 37205

Office: 615-517-3355

Cell: 615-354-4799

Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Taylor, Chris David Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:39 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Database Link Question

I've come across a weird database link issue that I haven't seen before in other environments.

We're running 10.2.0.3 on Windows 2003 servers with TNSNAMES on the servers and LDAP resolution on the clients.

Now, if we have a query that selects from a non-existent database link, the query doesn't return an error nor does it time out.

I know I'm missing something in my sqlnet.ora (on the server) but I cannot figure out what it is.

SQL> select * from dba_db_links;

No rows found

SQL> select * from mytable_at_tst1;

Waiting, waiting, waiting......waiting(n)

Now, my TNSNAMES file has a TST1.WORLD entry, my global_name where I'm running the select statement is DEV1.WORLD.

I know a select @TST1 shouldn't use TST1.WORLD directly from the TNSNAMES file, but why doesn't it return an error that the db link doesn't exist?

Here is the sqlnet.ora:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS) NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = WORLD NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, LDAP)   We do have LDAP specified as a fallback in case we forgot to update the TNSNAMES file with a new service name.

What am I missing here?

I've been searching google, but can't seem to find the right combination of search terms to give me the information I'm looking for.