Re: Teaching Oracle PL/SQL class

From: Ram Srinivasan <srinivasanram2004_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:09:30 -0400

Hi Douglas:
  I have observed at almost all the workplaces, the usage of oracle, PL-SQL and SAS Reserved Words by the developers. They invariably name the columns of tables, or functions or procedures using the oracle reserved words. Add a section either at the beginning or somewhere in the middle, not to use the oracle reserved words for naming their database objects. You can give them a list of these reserved words, which can be downloaded from oracle.com.   Thanks.

Ram Srinivasan

On 10/16/07, douglass_davis_at_earthlink.net <douglass_davis_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am teaching a continuing education PL/SQL class for a community
> college. The class will be 9 nights < 3 hours per night. And I am seeking
> the help of any PL/SQL experts out there.
>
> I have researched Oracle Architecture and PL/SQL, and I am trying to make
> sure I cover the most important topics based on how PL/SQL is used in
> industry. Also, I am trying to come with tasks that can be done in a lab
> type setting that would be close to those done in industry but not take more
> than 20 minutes each.
>
> Here is an outline of what I have so far:
>
> http://plsqltopics.wikispaces.com/
>
> If you have any comments, you may add to discussion section. If there are
> any topics you deem important that have been missed, you may add them
> directly to the wiki if you would like (note: you may have to go into text
> mode to edit outline).
>
> Please let me know if you have any comments. Thanks.

Sincerely
Ram Srinivasan
Charlottesville, VA.